Thursday, March 6, 2008

An embassy from the East-India company, 1673





















This publication seems to be a travel narrative-ish thing with an emphasis on trade (mostly Dutch trade, it seems) with China. There are quite a few pictures of Chinese palaces, gardens, and people. This pretty lady spoke to me, though, because she seems so unaware of her future plight and the avalanche of Orientalism that proceeds from the activities of the East India Company. But at least British people got tea. That's something, I guess. And I suppose we wouldn't have Coleridge's "Kubla Kahn" either. And Edward Said wouldn't have had a career. Actually, the more I think about it, colonialism was awesome!

2 comments:

danielle said...

It was. And also there wouldn't be reality shows like the Travel Channel's Living with the Mek, and Nelson Mandela would have just been some guy.

Doug said...

You know, there's something about that woman that makes her look like a larger version of that vase in the background. I don't know what to do with that information, but I'm someone could whip up a quick feminist/postcolonial reading of that observation that would make it sound important.
Also Sarah, I have to bring to your attention the fact that since I have been banned from making Kubla Kahn references, you have made two. Don't get me wrong, I don't want you to stop; I just want to be allowed to continue making them. In fact, I think we should try to somehow fit a Kubla Kahn reference into every LOLManuscript.