Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Ye Greatest and Meruelous uisyoned Batayle, 1518






















In honor of Shakespeare's birthday, I have tackled the debate about Shakespearean authorship. The Oxfordian Theory suggests that Edward de Vere, Earl of Oxford, actually wrote the plays and poems attributed to Shakespeare. Much of the "evidence" is either ridiculous, circumstantial, or tainted with class issues -- specifically the notion that a merchant's son could never have produced such great literary works. It's bullshit, of course, but I was shocked by how many people actually call themselves anti-Stratfordians. Losers--especially Orson Welles and Derek Jacobi. WTF guys?

Shakespeare up, Oxford down. But I do think that the anti-Oxfordian battle flag I made is pretty sweet. In other Shakespearean news, you should watch the trailer for this movie: Hamlet 2. That's right. And it has Steve Coogan in it! I'll bet he's a Stratfordian.

2 comments:

Doug said...

You know a pun is bad when it's been previously used by the band "System of a Down".
In related news, no one should admit to being able to recall the lyrics to a song by System of a Down.
Still, there's no way you CAN'T use that pun there, no matter how painful. I know I would have.

I noticed that Justice Blackmun was an Oxfordian, and said he would rule against Shakespeare.
Just to put that in context, I read a case today where Blackmun said that even if the government suddenly told someone they couldn't build a house on their million dollar beachfront property, it still had plenty of value because you could "put a tent up and sleep on the beach."

Sarah Redmond said...

I thought I should point out that that is you being killed by the pun. And you probably shouldn't admit to knowing System of a Down lyrics.

But even Robert Greene called him a "Shake-scene" in 1592, so puns have always abounded when it comes to ol' Bill. He made a few bad one's himself. Take this hilarious gag from "Two Gentlemen of Verona":

Speed: Away, ass! You’ll lose the tide if you tarry any longer.

Launce: It is no matter if the tied were lost; for it is the unkindest tied that ever any man tied.

Speed: What’s the unkindest tide?

Launce: Why, he that’s tied here, Crab, my dog.

**sheesh, Shakespeare. Maybe we can blame that one on the Earl of Oxford?