Saturday, April 19, 2008

The Ages of Sin, 1635






















Turtles will give you salmonella. It has been proven. Do not touch them. Ever.

Anyway, The Ages of Sin pairs certain (non-deadly, as far as I can tell) sins with an illustrative metaphorical image and explanation. Something about this one spoke to me, maybe because I do think turtles are like walking buckets of disease, maybe because I like that the man seems to have a deep-seated vendetta against them, and maybe because this very scene has most likely been played out many a time, "'cause turtles is goooood eatin'. "

In other news, Seamus Heaney got my special treatment over at Literary Makeovers!!!

2 comments:

danielle said...

No wonder you made your mom pick up that dead turtle so you could have its shell.

Doug said...

I like that the author/illustrator chose a tortoise shell to represent the quality of being obdurate because, no matter how hard you bash into that thing with an enormous scimitar, it just won't break.

I would make the opposite page an illustration of Gallagher, about to hit a rabbit with an enormous hammer. I think that would really drive home the proper attitude one should take towards sin, because everyone knows you don't want to sit in the front row on rabbit night.